Friday, November 26, 2010

Like, Happy Turkey Day!

I'm relieved to say that Thanksgiving was a major success. It was my first time cooking a turkey, and I was more than a bit nervous. I mapped out the timing of everything the night before to make sure I'd have time enough to fix any turkey issues if they arose. I got up at 6 am to start to turkey. Over zealous? Yes, but I was prepared and stress-free all morning while cooking. Aside from turkey, we had mashed potatoes, gravy, corn, green bean casserole, fresh salad, dinner rolls (courtesy of Nate), limeade (also Nate), pumpkin pie (Costco - only $6! Who can pass that up?), and vanilla ice cream. We kept it pretty simple and skipped the stuffing and cranberry sauce. Neither of us like those much. The turkey was the best I'd ever had, and I think Nate said the same. We had the missionaries over - Elder Milne and Elder Reddish. They both said that the turkey was super moist, unlike all the turkey they'd ever had. Score! I'd found the cooking instructions on a cooking website - simplyrecipes.com. I cooked the turkey breast-side down and reduced the heat the longer it was in the oven. That's it. Simple, but it made a huge difference.

Here we are picking all the meat off the turkey. I don't know why it's blurry.


Here's our spread before the feast. We had glasses for the limeade, too. The plastic cups were for water. We're not completely ghetto. :)





Nate and I went to see Tangled at 3:30. He'd gotten free tickets. Nate's awesome like that. The movie was surprisingly good, a lot like the old Disney musicals. It reminded me of Beauty and the Beast, and I love that movie. Good music, good script, good story, good everything.

We spent the rest of the day lazing about. We had started watching Avatar the night before and so finished it in the evening. And then, of course, we had leftovers for dinner. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment