I do sympathize with him, especially when he's playing pick up basketball at school and 19 year old kids show up. He played some ball on Friday, but he came home happy because he apparently made some stellar moves. He's still got it.
I, on the other hand, have been 28 for 6 months and haven't made any stellar moves since high school.
Saturday night we went to Carrabbas, one of Nate's top 3 favorite places to eat out. On occasion, Nate gets really dramatic about things: basil scented hand soap, Inception, Carrabbas chicken trio. When he does, he gets serious and formal. While watching Nate eat the free chocolate mousse brownie dessert after his heavenly trio, I asked if I could have a bite to which he replied, "Oh yes, please do. This is excellent!" He then sat up straighter and dabbed at the corners of his mouth with his napkin.
When we got home, I decided to jump the gun on the birthday present and give it to him a day early. He'd already bought himself the Star Wars trilogy and so told me not to spend any more money on him. So I cut out 250 little hearts and wrote down something I loved about him on each one. I made it to season 3 of the Bill Cosby show by the time I finished writing them all down. I wasn't expecting Nate to sit and read them all in one sitting, but he did... which made "I love you because you are actually reading all of these" a bit funnier than I'd anticipated.
Before watching some Star Wars, I made Nate his favorite cake - German Chocolate. I'd heard it's better the day after, so making it a day early was the way to go. The only problem was... we couldn't wait a day to taste it.
I like to do time consuming activities while watching movies (like cut out 250 hearts), so I brought out my green clay mask and slopped it all over Nate's face during Star Wars. I thought he looked cute and wanted to document it, but he wasn't too excited about having his picture taken... so I told him to look mean or mad or serious or intimidating. I'm not sure which one this is...
Today for Nate's birthday dinner, I made one of his favorites - lasagna. I made it with italian sausage and mushrooms. It's in the oven now, so we'll see how it turns out. We'll each have a hefty piece of cake for dessert and probably play chess into the evening. I'm blogging now because Nate's at a training for his calling at church, and when he gets home I'll be busy pampering him some more.
Additional note: Thanks for Nash and Haven for their rendition of Happy Birthday via Skype.

Happy Birthday, Nate!
Yea! Love all the posts. I think it's awesome that you guys went to a horse show!
ReplyDeleteJesse's birthday is next week and he'll be 28 too.
I love all the stuff you did for Nate's birthday, especially the heart notes.