At the risk of sounding negative and like a hypocrite, I am going to say the following...
Why is it that when you are married and go to a social function, a BBQ for example, the men and women divide? I found myself talking about pregnancy for 3 hours tonight with the other women at a BBQ. That's all we talked about. Literally. Now I know that I don't express much on my blog these days about anything other than pregnancy, but that's for the purpose of documentation. I do think about other things. So when I go to a social function and feel like I would be breaking some social rule by hanging out with the men, I get frustrated... because the conversation in my circle is overwhelmingly unvaried. And I'm stuck talking about pregnancy for 3 hours. With only women. 3. Hours. Pregnancy. Women. Head explode.
Is this how married society functions? Do we find a mate only to ditch him in public to chat it up with the girls about girl things? Have I just not been married to Nate long enough to need a break from him, even if it's to talk about pregnancy for 3 solid hours?
Is it me? And am I eventually, after years of divided-gender BBQs, going to somehow morph into a person who only talks about pregnancy and shopping and kids and recipes? Because isn't that what my life will become filled with... and shouldn't I be happy about that? Isn't this exactly what I wanted?
I've taken this too far now. I do want pregnancy and kids and all that that entails, but not at the expense of other interests or topics to discuss.
I've heard other women complain about this same thing. And so now I'm just on the other side of the fence, another sheep in a different herd. We either talk about pregnancy for 3 hours or complain about talking about it. We're all so cliche.
And that's somehow two sheep related blog posts in a row. Talk about a one track mind.
Don't forget, back in the day when we would talk to each other- we like.. swore that we'd someday be the cool moms that would still go to concerts and stuff. Hold strong. You can do it. (lol)
ReplyDelete