Monday, November 7, 2011

are you achin' for some bacon?

Last night while reading a book on writing, Nate turned to me and said, "Emilie, if I didn't play so many computer games and chess online, I'd get so much more done." Duh. What he was really saying was that he is willing to make a change. We then made a pact to spend our "free" time doing something either creative or educational. Nate has been working on a website and brainstorming for a book he wants to write, so this new found zest for being even more productive is supported 100% by little ol' me. Besides, when Nate is productive, he usually brings home more bacon. And I do love bacon, of both sorts.

We also talked about journaling more. Our blog has done an ok job of representing what we do in our spare time, but it doesn't show what we think and talk about on a daily basis... and in essence, who we are. I think in the future we'll be equally interested in who we were as in what we were doing back in the day.

I'm at work waiting for the patients to arrive. Mondays are slow here. One of the therapists just arrived a bit early and asked how my stomach was doing. I said it was big. He said that I am going to be a good mom. I've been thinking about being a good mom lately, as I should be... considering I will be a mom in a few weeks. And holy cow. It's been awhile since I've "been" something new... like a student or a sister-in-law or a wife. Now, it's Mom. While reading "Jesus the Christ" the other day, I started thinking about the similarities between the "suffering" of pregnancy, labor, and giving birth and what Christ suffered for us. I'm not going to get preachy, but it made me consider Christ's attitude toward suffering pain that wasn't His own. His physical suffering wasn't an indication that something was wrong with Him in the same way that my physical suffering isn't and won't be an indication that something is wrong with me. The suffering is a burden He was willing to take on because it was necessary to bring about what He and His father wanted. He suffered because He loved us, and I will suffer because I love Max. Kinda cool. I think the comparison might help me get through the true suffering of pregnancy... when Max comes out. Yikes. And I don't want to get into the whole debate about pain meds during pregnancy or anything... "You don't HAVE to suffer... just put a needle in your spine!" For me, it feels right to try to go natural. With that decision comes some suffering, but I'm willing. We'll see if my will pulls through. Either way, I'll bring home a bacon bit of my own.

1 comment:

  1. I'm picking up on a tangent part of the post here, but I'm always surprised when I remember that US women typically have to choose to try to go natural before drugs are foisted on them. In the UK everyone tries and then if things go pear-shaped they do something. There are pros and cons on both sides, but yeah, just funny to see different first-world culture differences on that one. Maybe you're just on a different level here because the suffering of Christ also occurred to me pre-labour, but during labour I couldn't even remember my name let alone wax philosophical ha.

    ReplyDelete