Sunday, September 4, 2011

Wallets & Wishes

This is Nate. I think I need to be better about posting.

So this week was pretty eventful. Two Fridays ago I lost (or at least thought) that I lost my wallet. I had it at work and then could not remember having it with me after that. It seems I get more absentminded when school starts - meaning I have a hard time with keys, bus passes, my phone, and my wallet. I inherited this wonderful trait from my Dad. I remember him offering us a dollar to the first of his kids who could find his keys/wallet/other random item.

On Saturday night we drove up to Snowflake to see Aaron and Jasmine's baby boy, Isaac. He looks like a Dunford. I thought that I had simply left my wallet at home in my gym bag after working out on Friday. We got home on Sunday night and it was later, so I didn't even bother looking for it. The next day I went to school like normal but couldn't get into the library because I didn't have my wallet. That night I looked and looked for it but it was nowhere to be found (in my gym bag, school pack, briefcase, etc.). I emailed my coworkers to see if it was on my desk or in a drawer. I called the New York Pizza Department to see if I had left my wallet there during lunch (it is great getting a free lunch - I could be an intern forever). It wasn't there either, nor was it in or on my desk. Wednesday my law school buddies usually play basketball and the student center but I couldn't play because I still had not found my wallet.

I had come close to consigning myself to cancelling credit and debit cards, getting a new license, student ID, costco card, temple recommend, etc. when I decided to say a prayer with Em on Wednesday night when I got home. So we did, and Em asked me, "Could it be in any other bag?" I responded in the negative. As she was making dinner, Em started humming a song from Aladdin (I think it was the Prince Ali Ababuah song). Remembering that I had a DVD copy from the Dunford family library of Aladdin, I asked her if she wanted to watch it. She replied in the affirmative. So I went to our spare room that we keep closed (to save on the AC bill) to get the case with my not-so-legal DVDs. The first thing I saw when I opened the door was my softball bag and I remembered that on Saturday I had gone to hit some softballs with some friends and had left my walled in the side pocket. There it was! Crisis averted! Seems I owe Em $1.

What are the chances that Em just happened to be humming a song from Aladdin? A movie that isn't on our shelf but is only in our back room - the only place I keep my softball bag. So it is good to know that Em is in tune with the Spirit and that he can manifest himself through Disney. It is also good to know that I will soon have one more person that I can promise a dollar to in order to help me find whatever item I have most recently lost. Maybe with inflation I will be generous and promise him $5 once he gets old enough to help out his forgetful father.

4 comments:

  1. I'm just joshing you; I mainly wanted to get the "streetrat" out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I don't buy that" is also from Aladdin. I think it's the next line. We laughed at your comment. :)

    ReplyDelete