Monday, October 10, 2011

piERna

There aren't enough posts on our blog about injuries and health complications, so here's another one.



Sunday night while watching a movie, I was running my hand down the back of my leg when I felt a lump in my varicose vein, a vein I have had since my mission in 2004-2005. I called my midwife around noon on Monday to let her know about the lump. She told me to go to the emergency room right away. I wasn't expecting that, but I'm considered "high risk" because I'm pregnant. After an ultrasound of my leg checking for blood clots in my deeper veins, the ER doctor told me I was fine and sent me home.

The whole thing took about three hours, but I'm glad it happened. I had never been to the hospital for myself and didn't know what to expect. Now I feel less anxious about being admitted to give birth. The hospital itself wasn't inviting at all, but the staff were really friendly. I'll do what I can to control the atmosphere in the labor and delivery room (dim lights, soft music and voices, minimal checks and monitoring), and here's hoping the staff are as great in a few weeks as they were the other day.

No comments:

Post a Comment