Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Skin, Ankles, Ligaments & Father Time


I decided to write in trebuchet font because "trebuchet" is a cool word. They haven't appeared in warfare in a few hundred years but it would be fun to make one to see how far it can throw boulders. I remember making a tower out of balsa wood for my wood shop class in high school. The tower that could hold the most weight got a prize. I think I got third place and an A. It would be fun to make a trebuchet out of balsa wood with Max when he gets a little older. (for some reason it didn't post in trebuchet font)

So, this week has been interesting. On Saturday morning at about 2:00 AM I woke up feeling the familiar uncomfortable blisters that accompany a cold sore. Luckily I still had some Valtrex and some Novitra (an ointment that dries the blisters out and gets the ordeal over more quickly). I literally jumped to my feet and turned on the light to rummage through our cabinets to find my herpes averters. Em asked me what I was doing (with a bit of an impatient tone) and I mumbled something intelligible back to her. She asked again and I said, "Gosh Em, you aren't being very nice right now. I have a cold sore." I can't expect someone to be completely Christ-like when half awake. I guess I can't be expected to speak English when half awake either. Unawakedness definitely complicates communication.

So I should have known that the cold sore was a harbinger of further pain and discomfort to come. On Monday nights I play in a softball league with some of my law school buddies and we play a double header against the same team. It was our 4th Monday playing and we started off kind of slowly - losing 10-3. The other team was definitely cocky and confident, but our team has won all of our games by a combined score of 125-50. We ended up winning 17-13 by scoring 6 runs in the bottom of the 6th inning. During the inning I slid into second (safe) and even though I wear knee high socks I somehow got a pretty decent raspberry on my left leg. After our games I washed it out and put some Aquaphor on it, but it burned all night. The next day, it began oozing dirt - I have had these things before and that has never happened. It woke me up again last night at 12:30 in the morning because it was inflamed and I couldn't sleep. I washed it out again and ended up getting around 4 hours of sleep.

So today, the same group of law school friends usually play pick up basketball at the student rec center. I had planned to play, but because I didn't sleep very well I told them I wasn't going to play. At the last minute and on the way out the door I decided that if I felt up for it I should play so I grabbed my hoop gear and went to school. I eventually decided to play, but because I was afraid that the raspberry would get hit or kicked I wrapped it up with an ACE bandage. No problems there. After playing for about two hours, I was on my last game and getting tired. On a rebound I landed on a guys foot and rolled my right ankle. There wasn't a snap, but definitely a crackle and a pop. I felt the ligaments go and crumpled to the floor in screams. It has been 5 years since I last sprained an ankle - I was doing so well! A physical therapist in Utah did a great job with therapy and I haven't had any problems since. Well 5 years was a good long time, now I need to find a new therapist. The pain of a sprained ankle where existing scar tissue exists is terribly painful and I had forgotten just how bad it is.

So now I am hobbling around, having Em help me with the things that I can't do. The timing really couldn't be worse. We are going to Sedona and San Diego next week for Fall Break and my softball league games will have to wait, but I don't think that I will be playing basketball for the next three months. I am just not 18 anymore. I don't feel old - I can run with the coeds just fine, but with work and school it might not be worth it to play pickup basketball.

In the pic you can see my skinned left leg and my swollen right ankle. It is going to be a fun night!

No comments:

Post a Comment