Change of plans. We're going to double the batch and impress everyone with our ability to follow a recipe. I think it's my favorite meal I've made. That probably doesn't hold much weight since I've only really been cooking for 4 months, but this really is some seriously savory soup and breadsticks. We'll top it off with some Peach Pear Soda from Archer Farms (found at Target) and call it done.
I'm realizing how much I love to cook. I always had an interest, but I'd never had the kitchen and space and equipment and time. I told Nate today that once we have the budget, I'm going to make sure we eat like kings. I have so many recipes I want to try. Happiness can come in the form of cooking ALL THE TIME.
On another note, Nate and I enjoyed this clip of a comedian whose ideas are witty but whose language is dirty. This clip is clean.
I laughed aloud several times, and I loved when he said, "You're on a chair in the sky!" I often think about how ungrateful we can be when we don't recognize how easy we have it. Nate and I live in a home alone with ice in the freezer and warm water for showers and light for reading and homemade cookies for eating. We don't have to worry about finding some rice for the kiddies or walking several miles to get fresh water. Basically everything we do and enjoy is more than we need. We live in excess even when we live frugally and within our means. We could be considered "poor" by some standards, but we want for nothing. When we are in a position to occasionally contemplate our wants, we know we are doing better than fine.
About 7 years ago, there was a period of maybe 3 months where I was looking for a job while going to school part-time. I had little to no luck, and my monies were running out. I kept myself alive by eating pancakes every day for weeks on end. No joke. Thing is, I never told anyone... Pride is what it's called. Anyway, I actually learned what it was like to be hungry enough to eat the same thing everyday because it's all I had. It's not like I was eating ketchup soup or anything, but even that's saying something! My worst time where I was scraping the barrel resulted in pancakes! My worst is someone else's dream. So I think about those months when I'm starting to feel ungrateful. The memory keeps me in check.
Ketchup soup. Gross. How grateful I am to sit in a chair in the sky on my way to make and eat Zuppa Toscana soup at Christmas. And that's that.
FYI-there are two ways to eat like kings: a good income or food stamps. bwa ha hahah. i can say that now that this blog is private.
ReplyDelete