Step 1: Rinse and dry
Step 2: Score with an X
Step 3: Boil for 15-20 minutes
Step 4: Let rest for 30 seconds
Step 5: Peel
Step 6: Enjoy with eggnog!
We discovered a few things that will help us next year. First, score the chestnuts deep enough to cut all the way through to the nut, not just the outer shell. This allows water to creep under the skin which makes for easier peeling. Second, don't broil them after boiling. I saw that advice and took it only to realize it wasn't necessary and slightly dried the nut out. Stick to boiling only. Third, peel the nuts immediately after cooking them. Don't wait for them to cool. Again, this makes peeling easier. Fourth, watch out for rotten nuts. There are bound to be a couple.
I found my chestnuts at Whole Foods Market. I have no idea where else you might find them. They were $7.99/lb, but online they are upwards of $13/lb.
When we are back east for the holidays, we are going to take a quick trip to NYC. My cousin, Missie, mentioned the street vendors who sell "roasted" chestnuts (they boil theirs), so now I'm even more excited to eat some. I'm more than happy with being one-upped when I get to eat the one-up.
I can't drink eggnog. The flavor is nice, but I prefer a swig and not a whole glass. Next year I will make myself some hot chocolate with candy canes and marshmallows.
I forgot to post about Nash's gift. He asked me to deliver these colored and neatly folded and paper-clipped bundles to Nate for Christmas. He'd been making them the whole time I was visiting in Vegas and putting them in the Letters to Santa box. I guess he thought Nate could use a few.
And finally, I wanted to show you something surprisingly scrumptious. You know how I made that Zuppa Toscana? I had leftover Kale and potatoes, so I made Kale Mashed Potatoes. Simple enough. I found the recipe online and tweaked it a bit.
The flavor was rich and the color was so pretty. We want to make them a staple in our diets to get more greens. I couldn't help but think how sneaky it would be for getting kids to eat their vegetables. Nate said I should have made red gravy. Sick.Only 10 days to go...
There are always a few rotten nuts. ;)
ReplyDelete